John Ray Grisham Wiki, Age, Wife, Family, Biography & More
Today we are going to discussed the biography/ Wiki of Top selling author.John Ray Grisham Jr. (born February 8, 1955) is an American novelist, attorney, politician and activist, best known for his popular legal thrillers. His books have been translated into 42 languages and published worldwide.
John Ray was earlier interested in accounting but suddenly developed his interest to law, so therefore he graduated from law at the University of Mississippi, in 1981. He practiced criminal law for about a decade and served in the House as an attorney and Mississippi legislator before becoming a best-selling author. His novels were
chosen for the films also, which turned his life.
His first novel, A Time to Kill, was published in June 1989, four years after he began writing it. As of 2012, his books have sold approximately over 300 million copies worldwide. Grisham is one of only three authors to sell 2 million copies on a first printing, the other two being Tom Clancy and J. K. Rowling.
Grisham’s first bestseller, The Firm, sold more than seven million copies. The book was adapted into a 1993 feature film of the same name, starring Tom Cruise, and a 2012 TV series which “continues the story of attorney Mitchell McDeere and his family 10 years after the events of the film and novel.”
Eight of his other novels have also been adapted into films: The Chamber, The Client, A Painted House, The Pelican Brief, The Rainmaker, The Runaway Jury, Skipping,Christmas, and A Time to Kill.
Awards and honors
Biography/Wiki of John Ray Grisham
Family Grisham, the second of five siblings, was born in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to Wanda (née Skidmore) and John Ray Grisham.His father worked as a construction worker and a cotton farmer, while his mother was a homemaker. At the age of four, his family move to Southaven, Mississippi.
As a child, his dream was to become a baseball player. Grisham parents were not much educated , therefore his mother encouraged him to study.He also mention his various experiences he had in various jobs at his early age.From working in a nursery to highway jobs, ultimately he realizes the importance of college while doing various jobs.
Grisham married Renee Jones on May 8, 1981. The couple have two children together: Shea and Ty. Ty played college baseball for the University of Virginia.
Grisham practiced law for about a decade and then he entered politics and won election as a Democrat in the Mississippi House of Representatives from 1983–90, at an annual salary of US$ 8,000.
Grisham represented the seventh district, which included DeSoto County. By his second term at the Mississippi state legislature, he was the vice-chairman of the Apportionment and Elections Committee and a member of several other committees.
But grisham has fully developed his interest in writing and his second book was huge success. ‘The Firm’ and therefore he gave up practicing law.The Firm (1991) – The blockbuster that made Grisham a household name, The Firm is a story of a young lawyer that gets mixed up with the mob after taking a job offer that seems too good to be true. However, it is also an analysis of greed and how our upbringings can lead us to make choices that may affect our lives.
John Grisham Net worth:
New York top Seller John Grisham has a net worth of $350 million. Grisham earns $50-80 million per year in book royalties and advances. During his career, John Grisham has sold over 300 million copies of his books world wide.
Interesting Facts :
- John Grisham’s changed his course three times from accounting to law degree. He graduated in 1981 general civil litigation with a JD degree.
- John Grisham was elected to the Mississippi House of Representatives in 1983. He later became the Vice Chairman Apportionment and Elections Committee.
- His first book A Time to Kill was rejected more than 25 times. Wynwood Press took a chance and printed a first run of 5000 copies in 1989.
- John Grisham was already working on his next book The Firm, the day after completing work on A Time to Kill.
- John left his law career and politics and opted writing as his career.
- The Firm was published in 1991 and was the bestselling novel of the same year. The book stayed at number one for 47 weeks on The New York Times’ bestseller’s list.
- The film right to The Firm earned John Grisham a $600,000 paycheck.
- John Grisham has written a total of 24 legal thrillers (as of 2014) including The Client (1993), The Runaway Jury (1996), The Partner (1997), The Street Lawyer (1998), The Testament (1999), The Summons (2002), The Last Juror (2004), The Broker (2005), The Appeal (2008), The Associate (2009), The Confession (2010), and The Litigators (2011).
- 11 of John Grisham’s books have been adapted into films, and some into tv series also.
- Although John Grisham quit practicing law to pursue his writing career, he returned in 1996 to fight for a railroad worker’s family. The worker had been killed on the job and Grisham successfully argued the case, winning the family more than $680,000.
- John Grisham, Tom Clancy, and J.K. Rowling are the only authors to sell 2 million copies of a book on its first printing.
Awards and honors
2005 Peggy V. Helmerich Distinguished Author Award.
2007 Galaxy British Lifetime Achievement Award.
2009 Library of Congress Creative Achievement Award for Fiction.
2011 The inaugural Harper Lee Prize for Legal Fiction for The Confession.
2014 Harper Lee Prize for Legal Fiction for Sycamore Row.
Complete list of books by John Grisham
A Time to Kill (1989)
The Firm (1991)
The Pelican Brief (1992)
The Client (1993)
The Chamber (1994)
The Rainmaker (1995)
The Runaway Jury (1996)
The Partner (1997)
The Street Lawyer (1998)
The Testament (1999)
The Brethren (2000)
A Painted House† (2001)
Skipping Christmas† (2001)
The Summons (2002)
The King of Torts (2003)
The Last Juror (2004)
The Broker (2005)
The Innocent Man (2006)
Playing for Pizza† (2007)
The Appeal (2008)
The Associate (2009)
The Confession (2010)
Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer (2010)
The Litigators (2011)
Theodore Boone: The Abduction (2011)
Calico Joe† (2012)
The Racketeer (2012)
Theodore Boone: The Accused (2012)
Sycamore Row (2013)
Theodore Boone: The Activist (2013)
Gray Mountain (2014)
Theodore Boone: The Fugitive (2015)
Rogue Lawyer (2015)
Theodore Boone: The Scandal (2016)
The Whistler (2016)
Camino Island† (June 2017)
The Rooster Bar (2017)
The Reckoning (2018)